Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Teachers Plant Seeds of Knowledge . . .

... that will last forever.

Last night the CG met up at my co-leader Eugene's place for a post-Christmas gathering. It was a small gathering cos some were away and some were at another youth's house for a separate party. It was a cosy gathering, I brought the wii along so the guys were up against each other in a game of boxing and tennis. We chatted over pizza and chicken wings, talked about our plans for the new year. As I watched them bond over good food and the bottle of wine they smuggled out of the supermarket (well, some of them are 18 so that's legal) I felt God telling me 'these are the fruits of your labour and love' - I was happy.

Gideon found time to join us yesterday. Having left CMC for a year now, he's happily settled into BRMC and I praise God for the work He's doing in Gideon's life. He wasn't an easy youth to mentor and he went through some pretty rough times during his time with us when
he had to cope with the expectations of being a pastor's son. He also lost his sister during that time and leaving CMC was a way of putting that chapter behind him. He gave me a card yesterday and a magnet with the words "Teachers plant seeds of Knowledge that will last Forever". The card was my very first from him after all those 4 years of being his CG leader. In it penned some of the most sincere words I've ever heard from a 18er. He finally recognised the effort taken to nurture him, the support he got from the rest of the CG during what was his lowest point. He now understood why God told me not to give up on him and how God knew back then - 2 years ago - that He was using me and the CG to fulfill His plan for him. Next year, Gideon will be taking on the role of CG leader to a group of 14ers in BRMC. The work that God is doing in his life is amazing and I praise God for that. I take heart that God had used me as a vessel to help plant that seed along the way.

Every year around this time, I reflect on my Ministry with the youths and year after year, I ask God for affirmation that this is where He wants me to continue serving in the new year. Next year will be my 6th year with the CG. Every year I see new leaders emerging, and God seems to be telling me now - through Gideon - that even if I don't see some of them rising up now, they may do so in the future and my responsibility is to help nurture them so that God's plan for these young people may be fulfilled one day.

Its a great responsibility since the intention is to raise these youths up as future leaders of the Church. I feel unequipped sometimes and there's so much more I know I can do to mentor them. I can only pray for that empowerment, strength and grace for God to continue using me as a mighty vessel to make a difference in lives of the chosen generation.

Pray with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...