Monday, April 19, 2010

One God

After being away from home and missing church for the past month, I found my way to the Glide Memorial Methodist Church - a street away from my hotel here in San Francisco - this morning. The place was filled with so much energy all ready to worship God. The band was armed with their saxophone and the works. The gospel choir really got the congregation onto their feet! The atmosphere was amazing and the hearts and passion of the people as we worshiped was truly an eye-opener for me. We held hands throughout the sanctuary, said the Prayer of St Francis and exchanged warm hugs with the people around us. Strangers came forward and gave me a hug making me feel most welcome! ....

2 hours later, as I was waiting for my colleagues to finish their dim sum brunch at the San Francisco Chinatown, I found myself walking into the United Chinese Methodist Church were a cosy, intimate worship session was being conducted in a hall that looked like a basketball court by day. The songs were sang in Cantonese and in contrast to the morning's service, there was all but a keyboarder, guitarist and a violinist. I was ushered to my seat where I found myself just enjoying listening to those Cantonese hymns. I may not understand Cantonese very much myself but I figured it out a little and did quite well deciphering the Chinese lyrics projected. Funny how the very first Mandrine service I ever attended will be all the way here in San Fran.

It was a Sunday morning well spent and a good reminder that across continents, time zones, races and skin colour, we can all worship the same one Great God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...